Iowa Teaching Standards and Criteria
Demonstrates ability to enhance academic performance and support for implmentation of the school district's student achievement goals.
- Provides evidence of student learning to students, families and staff.
- Implements strategies supporting student, building, and district goals.
- Uses student performance data as a guide for decision making.
- Accepts and demonstrates responsibility for creating a classroom culture that supports the learning of every student.
- Creates an environment of mutual respect, rapport, and fairness.
- Participates in and contributes to a school culture that focuses on improved student learning.
- Communicates with students, families, colleagues, and communities effectively and accurately.
|Grade book||Rubrics||Work on walls|
|Letters, email, calls home||Student portfolio||Newsletters, newspapers|
|Parent-Teacher Conferences||Follows IEP/504 Plans||Creates lessons to meet goals|
|Show concurrent lesson plans||Team meeting minutes||Class test results; analyze data|
|Differentiated instruction enrichment||Standardized Tests; analyze data, set goals||Progress Reports|
|Incorporates reading strategies, multiple intelligences into lessons||Cooperative Learning, Project-based assessment, Performance Assessment||Parent Communications (phone call log, email log)|
|Class rules/expectations||Advisement Lessons||Notes from meetings|
Demonstrates competence in content knowledge appropriate to the teaching position.
- Understands and uses key concepts, underlying themes, relationships, and different perspectives related to the content area.
- Uses knowledge of student development to make learning experiences in the content area meaningful and accessible for every student.
- Relates ideas and information within and across content areas.
- Understands and uses instructional strategies that are appropriate to the content area.
|Copies of lesson plan||Pre-Post Tests||Copies of hand-outs|
|Student work/portfolio||Video used, CD's||Notes on lesson plans|
|Curriculum Maps/Tech Paths||Professional development||Multiple assessments|
|Log of Heartland AEA involvement||Pictures of students||Pictures of students and work|
|Assessment of individual lesson progress||Mentoring||Teacher generated materials|
|Lesson plans||Notes planning meetings||Lesson Plans, differentiated student work|
|Event Program||Assessments, copies of study guides||Community Resources|
|Teacher feedback on student work||Classroom Displays|
Demonstrates competence in planning and preparing for instruction.
- Uses student achievement data, local standards, and the district curriculum in planning for instruction.
- Sets and communicates high expectations for social, behavioral, and academic success of all students.
- Uses student's developmental needs, backgrounds, and interests in planning for instruction.
- Selects strategies to engage all students in learning.
- Uses available resources including technologies, in the development and sequencing of instruction.
|Copies of assessments||Photos of students||Print out standards|
|Copies of ITBS/ITED results||Classroom expectations||Showing class average over time|
|Graphs||District Assessments||Handbooks, hand-outs|
|Lesson plans, copy expectations||Lesson plans that fit building/district standards||Student responses to classroom climate|
|Lesson plans||IEP/504 binders||Student surveys|
|Block Schedule Assessment||Student examples of reports||Emails to parents, counselors, nurse|
|Copies of lesson plans||Copies of activities in progress||Inquiries|
|Student evaluation of project||Copies of lesson plans||Bibliography of resources|
|Photos||Field Trip plans||Student examples|
Uses strategies to deliver instruction that meets the multiple learning needs of students.
- Aligns classroom instruction with local standards and district curriculum.
- Uses research-based instructional strategies that address the full range of cognitive levels.
- Demonstrates flexibility and responsiveness in adjusting instruction to meet student needs.
- Engages students in varied experiences that meet diverse needs and promote social, emotional, and academic growth.
- Connects students' prior knowledge, life experiences, and interests in the instructional process.
- Uses available resources, including technologies, in the delivery of instruction.
|Assessments||Lesson Plans||Photo diary/documentation|
|Curriculum map (Tech Paths)||Examples of student work||Examples of research|
|Self-assessment||Workshop implementation||Examples of strategies used|
|Examples of chapter lesson taught||Teacher documentation of accommodations used||IEP/504|
|Student work evidence of positive development||Student work||Photos|
|Surveys/reflections||Document time spent at activities||Curriculum maps|
|Letters from students or parents||Lessons with choice||Guest speaker/local expert|
|Lesson plan (detailed with attachments)||Power Point slides/Web pages||Student work examples|
|Tests to identify prior knowledge||Research projects|
Uses a variety of methods to monitor student learning.
- Aligns classroom assessment with instruction.
- Communicates assessment criteria and standards to all students and parents.
- Understands and uses the results of multiple assessments to guide planning and instruction.
- Guides students in goal setting and assessing their own learning.
- Provides substantive, timely and constructive feedback to students and parents.
- Works with other staff and building and district leadership in analysis of student progress.
|Rubrics||Lesson plans||Student portfolio|
|Copies of alternative tests||Website||Report cards|
|Performance task samples||Newsletter||Back to School night|
|Parent/Teacher Conferences||Progress Reports||Test scores|
|Lesson plans reflecting assessments||Goal sheets written by students||Student achievement data|
|Adapted assessments||Goal charts||Meeting notes|
|Achievement data||Use of student agenda||Conferences|
|IEP meetings||Phone calls|
|Parent letters||Posting grades|
Demonstrates competence in classroom management.
- Creates a learning community that encourages positive social interaction, active engagement, and self-regulation for every student.
- Establishes, communicates, models, and maintains standards of responsible student behavior.
- Develops and implements classroom procedures and routines that support high expectations for student learning.
- Uses instructional time effectively to maximize student achievement.
- Creates a safe and purposeful learning environment.
|Cooperative learning strategies||Student jobs in groups||Dos and don'ts|
|Classroom set-up/arrangement||Student self-evalualtion of behavior||My job/your job|
|Check lists||Small-group assignment||Seating chart|
|Advisement||Principal's meeting||Classroom rules|
|Rules Posted||Class Constitution||Sub folders|
|Lesson plans/ unit plans||Photos||Student goal writing|
Engages in professional growth.
- Demonstrates habits and skills of continuous inquiry and learning.
- Works collaboratively to improve professional practice and student learning.
- Applies research, knowledge, and skills from professional development opportunities to improve practice.
- Establishes and implements professional development plans based upon the teacher's needs aligned to the Iowa teaching standards and district/building student achievement goals.
- Provides an analysis of student learning and growth based on teacher created tests and authentic measures as well as any standardized and district-wide tests.
|IEP||Peer evaluation||Present to team/video-tape|
|Copies of membership certificates||Books/journals on shelves||Student pre- and post-tests|
|Transcripts||Degrees or certification||Study group notes|
|Staff development meeting notes||Websites for teachers/parents/students||Show growth in student achievement|
|Show sample lesson of collaborative activities||Run off copies of books/magazines/Internet used in classroom||Set own teacher goals and long range plans|
Fulfills professional responsibilities established by the school district.
- Adheres to board policies, district procedures, and contractual obligations.
- Demonstrates professional and ethical conduct as defined by state law and district policy.
- Contributes to efforts to achieve district and building goals.
- Demonstrates an understanding of and respect for all learners and staff.
- Collaborates with students, families, colleagues, and communities to enhance student learning.
|Observation forms||Voter registration||Sub plans|
|2-week log of arrival/departure times||Date documentation stating completion of background checks/fingerprints||Transcripts from post-grad work In service notes/agendas|
|IEP showing accommodation||Actual student work samples||Photo|
|Committee documentation of membership||Participates in staff functions||District committee/activity documentation|
|Phone log||Email log||Page from calendar|
|Conference schedule||Community speakers/guests||Field trips|